Tuesday 12 May 2015

…..while the poor get poorer

General Workers
I am sorely passionate about how the working class are treated in any given country, utopic or otherwise. I feel I am an industrialist in my own right and am simply transitioning into that place where I can justify these utterances. As I studied history in my earlier years and learnt about the European Industrial Revolution (1780 – 1850), all I could focus on, was how it affected the workers and their welfare.

A worker is quite simply an individual striving hard to do what he is tasked to do for the firm’s profitability, his motivation in all this being to earn a living for his family, more often than not, plunged in squalor. This applies to most general workers but not limited to only these, executive managerial positions notwithstanding.  A trade unionist I am not, but it’s a clear fact that capitalists only seek to line their pockets with proverbial gold at the detriment of the workers. My current rants are not misplaced, I currently came across an article I can relate to and I have quoted it below:

Did you know ZESA Holding exempts 5000 of its workers and pensioners from paying for electricity yet it costs the company $10 million annually. It is reported staff from the Ministry of Energy & Power Development, everyone including the minister are also exempted from paying further straining ZESA. ZESA workers who are pensioners are entitled to $160 worth of electricity units every month while Ministry of Energy staff is entitled to $100 worth of units monthly.
These exemptions were revealed by Zimbabwe Electricity Transmission and Distribution Company managing director, Eng. Julian Chinembiri while giving evidence to the Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Mines and Energy yesterday. This is said to have angered the legislators who were asked why ZESA could afford to extend such benefits to former employees and demanded the full list of people who are exempted by next Monday.”

This is so typical of Zimbabwe, those who are in positions of authority never take the “scenic view from the top” to look at how impoverished their liege is. I am a beneficiary of this ZESA ex-employee exemption. I reside in my father's house, the subject of whom is now resident in neighboring South Africa. This issue is a bitter pill to swallow as I can name injustices that occured to employees who retired in the 2008 - 2010 period, of which my own father is one. After 20years with ZESA, the man threw in the towel as he had well advanced in years but his retirement package and pension were gobbled up by the Zim Dollar - US Dollar transition. He was just an average, hardworking man, who ended up with a meagre return on countless years' devotion to a defunct system. So are we really going to take away the one benefit accruing to him, given to him contractually as a benefit upon signing up with the then monopolist parastatal?

Please pardon my bile-like, proliferate passion on this subject matter. I grew up in a household where my father devoted his life to his work. A lot of individuals only get to witness workaholism from their HD TV screens but I endured it. My father enjoyed his work thoroughly, that he curtailed his personal time and dedicated it to his career, which in turn rewarded him with the just promotions he got.

On weekends, like most male kids, I would crave to spend time with my dad who I knew was the greatest man alive. Sad to say, the only way to achieve this was to wake up early on a non-school day, take a bath, gobble down my breakfast and join him as he left for work on a Saturday. Please note, my father had a managerial position in a transport division of ZESA with numerous underlings, he didn’t really need to be at work on a Saturday. My little brother, Ben and I, spent many a childhood Saturdays on the premises of ZESA Central Vehicle Workshop in Ardbennie, Harare. While most kids wasted their one school and Church free day on wrestling and tv games, Ben and I spent ours treasure hunting inside cars under repair, experimenting with internally networked workshop telephones and nosing around ancient P1 computers which groaned ceaselessly, yet never actually booted up. The treasure hunt was most spectacular when cars belonging to ex-CEO and former executive chairman of ZESA Holdings, Dr. Sydney Gata were part of the lot!!  Such plunders me hearties!!

My current persona was moulded by these bygone experiences and it was this particular catalyst which spurred me to become an entrepreneur, for employees gave their entire lives for meaningless remuneration and empty recompenses. My business values, ethics and notions stem from the realization that employees play a very huge role in the profitability and success of any one business. Abraham Maslow was an abject man, yet his wittiness gave weight to the theories of motivation and even human psychology majors now thrive on his principles. The focal point being to motivate those in your employ so they in turn make your enterprise more successful.
These mangy, foul and corrupt legislators/tax collectors have eyes on the wrong ball. Reduce the number of MPs in our tiny country, eliminate most of the numerous benefits (Including brand new Ford Rangers for everybody!), and witness as our nation recuperates.


Stop taking advantage of the working population!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment